Don’t Let These Dangerous Plants Ruin Your Holiday
These dangerous holiday plants are not ho-ho-ho. They are a no-go. Get the list, plus find out what happens if your pet eats one.
by PetIQ Veterinary Council
Estimated Reading Time: 2 Minutes
When you’re decking the halls this holiday season, keep your pet in mind too. Here is our quick guide to popular holiday plants that can cause serious harm to your dog or cat:
- Symptoms can include gastrointestinal upset, a drop in blood pressure, breathing difficulty, or even abnormal behavior caused by hallucinations.
- The sap is irritating to your pet’s mouth and esophagus.
- Eating the leaves can cause nausea and vomiting.
- This plant can cause gastrointestinal upset in dogs and cats.
4. Fir and Pine Trees
- Christmas tree water can contain bacteria, mold or fertilizer.
- Fir tree oils can irritate your pet’s mouth if they lick or chew the branches or needles.
- Pine needles can get caught in the intestinal tract, even puncturing the lining or causing an obstruction.
5. Christmas Lilies (also called Amaryllis)
- Amaryllis are extremely poisonous to cats. Ingesting the petals, leaves, or pollen can quickly cause kidney failure.
- Dogs can develop gastrointestinal upset from eating any part of a lily.
During the holiday season, be sure to keep these plants out of your pet’s reach.
If you think your pet has eaten something wrong for them or notice other changes in their behavior, call the PetIQ® Veterinary Helpline at 1-800-775-4519. It’s available seven days a week, 10 a.m. – 7 p.m., even during the holidays. Talk with a veterinary professional, and if needed, they will help you find the closest PetVet™ veterinarian near you.