Warm weather means more outdoor fun… and more fleas & ticks
While fleas and ticks are a year-round threat, they are most prevalent during summer months because they thrive on warm weather and high humidity. Protect your pets this summer! Your yard and home may be a desirable habitat for these insects without you even knowing. It’s important to have a multi-pronged approach to protecting your pets and your home from these pesky pests as they bring the threat of disease to both you and your pet! Here are a few things you can do:
ON YOUR PETS and INSIDE YOUR HOME
- Keep your pet clean and well-groomed.
- Launder pet bedding routinely.
- Use a ﬂea and tick preventative medication. For best results, these preventive medications should be used year-round.
The PetIQ Family of Brands, including VIP Petcare, PetVet and VetIQ, provides the protection your pet needs! Stop in today to learn more about flea and tick prevention.
OUTSIDE YOUR HOME
- Keep your grass trimmed.
- Remove leaves and other debris routinely.
- Seal off crawl spaces and remove access to sheds and containers that may serve as habitats for wildlife that could bring fleas and ticks on to your property.
- Trim bushes and trees with low-hanging branches to reduce shaded areas.
- Consider treating your yard with an outdoor ﬂea treatment. Place a higher focus on treating shaded areas as these are prime spots for fleas and ticks.
It only takes a few weeks for a flea or tick infestation to develop in or around your home. And once an infestation occurs, it can take up to several months to clear up. That’s why a comprehensive flea and tick prevention program is important to implement year-round and involves treating both your pets and your home environment.